ELF and DWARF for
Linux for S/390 and zSeries
- General ELF Information:
- ELF (Executable and Linkable Format) is the object file,
executable program, shared object and core file format for Linux
and many UNIX operating systems.
The ELF base documentation is for the Intel x86 platform
in PDF format.
Also see the FreeBSD man page for
ELF (5) and the Linux 2.4
- Debugging Information:
- The traditional format for debugging information is called STAB
STAB information is saved in the .stab and
.stabstr sections of an ELF file.
documentation is available in HTML format.
DWARF (Debug With Arbitrary Record Format) is a more recent format for
debugging information for ELF files.
The DWARF documentation is in PDF format.
- Linux for S/390 and zSeries Information:
- IBM has published two documents describing the ELF characteristics specific to
Linux for S/390 and
Linux for zSeries.
An overview of ELF and Linux for S/390 and zSeries in PDF format can also be found in the
SHARE 99 session 8139 handout.
- ELF Support in the Tachyon z/Assembler
- The Tachyon z/Assembler can create
ELF object files
from both HLASM-style source code and GNU assembler source code, including the output
generated by GCC.
- ELF Dump Program:
- Tachyon Software has released an ELF file dump program.
The source and executable are available for: